Friday, April 8, 2011

Strike: no kale

I've made it about 2 weeks in site - halfway through the first month, woo! It's crazy because it doesn't feel like I've been here for 2 weeks because I have done nothing, or at least it feels that way. Not my fault though. Starting this past Monday the teachers in Guatemala started a nationwide strike against the government. Apparently, the main reasons for the strike are because 1. Some teachers haven't been paid for months 2. The government promised them a raise last year for this year and it hasn't happened 3. The government hasn't been giving enough money for the school snack or doesn't give it at all - keeping in mind that in some rural schools in poor communities the school snack is the major caloric intake they get for the day. So the strike seems pretty legit but what sucks is that the government hasn't responded and it's been a week. While the teachers are striking there is obviously no school - think about that for a minute...nationwide most schools are out. That's nuts. So, since my program is Healthy SCHOOLS it means we haven't been able to start work since being here since the strike coincidently started upon our arrival essentially. It's weird because I have so much free time which can be nice but then there comes a time where you get bored. I wanna start working already and establish a relationship with our schools and communities. I want to feel settled and with routine. Oh well, though, what can ya do. Meanwhile, I will cook long meals, continue to look for housing, lay in Lohmo's hammock, take "community walks" and watch movies until the strike decides to end. The tough life. Speaking of housing, my room I'm renting isn't terrible. It's quite cute and cozy but I can't wait to find my own place with my own kitchen and my own privacy. As much as I love being with people I also love having my own space. Also, my bathroom smells so FUNKY. No, I did not D-storm in it. It smelled before I even moved in. I don't know what it is, maybe the drainage? Who knows but it's foul and I hate going in there because of the smell. Tomorrow's mission: light some incense in there. Maybe the incense will also make all the spiders living in there go away because there are way too many for my liking. 


Other exciting news? Ah yes, I experienced my first earthquake ever yesterday. Well the earthquake was actually in Mexico but it was felt in Guatemala. It was early in the morning and I was lying in bed trying to go back to sleep but the noise from everyone in the house was preventing that from happening. I then realized my bed was rocking from side to side and of course me not coming from an earthquake prone area that is the last thing I thought of. I thought I caused it from turning on my side and then I thought they were doing something upstairs causing the walls to shake. Well, wrong and wrong. Later that morning I was checking the news online and saw news on that earthquake and then it all made sense. I need to start remembering I am in an earthquake prone country. Other than that, the only other really exciting news is food related. 1. I found chard today (haven't found spinach or kale yet in this area :( ) and ate a fresh salad - it's unbelievable what a big deal that is! 2. I bought powdered soy milk. Who even knew that existed! Now I can eat cereal so great news all around. Hopefully next time I write I have more exciting news to relay, such as the strike ending (!) or finding a home or finding spinach (I think kale is a lost hope). Life must go on...

No comments:

Post a Comment